Will Torrent’s Christmas Spiced Pork & Chestnut Wellington
For those planning Christmas dinner early, Will’s Christmas Spiced Pork & Chestnut Wellington using G’NOSH Babaghanoush dip is the ideal turkey alternative. The smoky aubergine flavour of G’NOSH Babaghanoush lends itself perfectly to the rich pork and chestnut filling, creating a fabulous dish that not only looks impressive but is guaranteed to taste delicious.
Serves 4-6 people
1 tub GNOSH Babaganoush (160g)
50g chestnut puree
150g button mushrooms, chopped
150g aubergine, chopped
50g cooked and peeled chestnuts, chopped
1 clove of garlic
Large bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
10ml olive oil
1 tsp mixed spice
1 pork fillet (450g)
Salt and pepper
1 tsp mixed spice
1 pack of parma ham (8 slices)
1 pack of All Butter Puff Pastry (375g)
1 free-range egg
Pinch of salt
• To make the filling: Place the G’NOSH Babaghanoush into a bowl, stir in the chestnut puree and leave to one side.
• Add 25g of butter to a frying pan, followed by finely chopped mushrooms, aubergine, chestnuts, garlic and heat slowly. You’re not looking to necessarily add colour, but you do want to cook the vegetables and remove the water content.
• Once cooked, add the parsley and stir into the G’NOSH Babaghanoush and chestnut puree mix made earlier. Reserve in the fridge.
• Add the olive oil into the frying pan and heat. Add the pork fillet, turning regularly until browned on all sides. You will need to do this for approximately 5 minutes to seal in the flavor by colouring the meat. Add 25g butter and the mixed spice.
• Remove from the heat and baste the fillet in the butter and mixed spice and season with salt and pepper.
• Remove the pork fillet from the pan and leave to cool.
• Clean the frying pan with kitchen paper and then wilt the spinach in 20g butter and cinnamon. Once cooked, drain the spinach on kitchen paper to remove any moisture, so it doesn’t leak out and make the wellington soggy.
• To make the roll: Place two sheets of cling film (30cm x 60cm) over a large chopping board and lay out the slices of Parma ham in a vertical row of 8.
• Remove the G’NOSH Babaghanoush and chestnut puree from the fridge and spread over the Parma ham followed by the wilted spinach.
• Place the pork fillet on one side of the wilted spinach and roll tightly in the cling film. Leave this in the fridge overnight to set.
• To make the Wellington: Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
• Take the pork fillet roll out of the fridge and remove the cling film.
• To make the egg wash, mix the egg with a pinch of salt.
• Roll out the puff pastry to a 5mm thickness, and place the pork fillet roll on the bottom side of the pastry, moisten the rest of the pastry with egg wash, and roll the pastry over into a parcel creating a seal around the pork.
• Place the Spiced Pork & Chestnut Wellington on to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
• Brush the remaining egg wash over the Wellington and bake in the oven for approx. 25-30 minutes or until the pastry has risen and is golden brown.
• Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing – the pork should be nice and pink.
Will’s tip: Serve with honey glazed carrots and creamed cabbage and a good glass of vino!